I admit it, I am a startup junkie. I absolutely love spending time with entrepreneurs and inventors. New business owners with enthusiasm and great ideas bring energy to a room that can’t be matched.
That was definitely true as Lafayette Tech Hub hosted a Startup Weekend Feb 10 – 12. A small, but very productive group of would-be entrepreneurs spent the weekend brainstorming, coding, testing and launching five very different businesses.
Instead of participating or facilitating as I have done in years past, this time I was a judge. It was a nice change of pace, giving me a chance to experience the presentations without any preparation or bias toward one group or another.
My assessment? The ideas were terrific and I am really impressed with what they managed to do in one weekend. Here is a quick review of the companies:
- Start-up Stack – An online collaboration and idea generation tool
- JobMench – Simply described as the eHarmony for job search, matching companies and employees on a range of attributes
- MikopoMe – A tool to transfer funds to prepaid credit cards without bank support. Targeted at developing countries with no banking infrastructure
- Towntools – A complete toolkit for small town governments, website and web-based collaboration tools.
- Next Round – Next Round is a mobile application to answer those questions that seem to arise when you are having a drink with good friends. Part game, part social, this lighthearted application stole the show.
Do you think this looks like fun? Want to be a part of an upcoming event? Check out www.startupweekend.com for a list of events near you.