I have always loved a good story. Whether I am telling it or listening to a great story teller, a story told well engages the audience.
In this article, Stew Friedman explains why now more then ever a 2 – minute story is an effective way to grab an audience’s attention and drive home important points.
He says: A good leadership story has the power to engage hearts and minds. It has these six crucial elements:
- Draws on your real past and lessons you’ve learned from it.
- Resonates emotionally with your audience because it’s relevant to them.
- Inspires your audience because it’s fueled by your passion.
- Shows the struggle between your goal and the obstacles you faced in pursuing it.
- Illustrates with a vivid example.
- Teaches an important lesson.
I love a good story, and rely on this technique often when trying to make a point. Here are links to some of my favorites.