Last Thursday, I had the opportunity to participate in the Indianapolis, Whale Hunting Women Summit. In a room of more than 175, bright, successful women, I was inspired and encouraged. I am extremely grateful to Barbara Weaver Smith who organized the event, and brought together this powerful collection of women.
I took pages of notes, but I am afraid I can’t capture the spirit and energy of these women, you will have to attend next year’s summit for that. Till then, here are some of my favorite excerpts from the day:
Lin Dunn, Head Coach of the Indiana Fever – shared her story, with a sense of humor only a successful southern woman can deliver. She left us with four key thoughts on how to be successful:
- Be the Best You Can Be! – Remember that success is never accidental. There are no short cuts
- Expect to Fail – Then figure out if the experience is going to make you bitter or better. Remember it is not how many times you get knocked down, but how many times you get up
- Overcome Handicaps – Everyone has them, there are no excuses. Don’t let problems become excuses, simply figure out how to work around them
- Know what True Success is – It isn’t the money, or the status, it is who you get to share it with.
From Organizer Barbara Weaver Smith
- If you want to be a whale hunter, you must accept you can not do it alone. Populate Your Boat!
- Get over your minnow mindset
- There is a difference between a Female Leader and a Leader who is Female – Choose to be the latter
Lisa Hershman, CEO of Hammer & Company – Sharing stories of her early career, she described standing up to a Navy Admiral who told her she should have been home having babies. She coined a phase which will ring in my ears for quite awhile – Guts or Nuts. Sometimes you have to act, it may be brave, or it may be crazy, but it will create results!
Other phrases from the day – my apologies, I was writing so fast I forgot to write down who to attribute them to. I guess I will have to watch the video to find out who said what:
Success comes in all different packages
Put yourself in a position to win
You need 3 bones for success – Wish Bone, Funny Bone and the Back Bone. – Dream Big, Laugh Often, and remember if you don’t stand for something you will fall for anything!
Never mistake a shark for a whale. Sharks eat you, you eat whales!