I am a self-confessed networking junkie. ( I have even written a short book on the subject). I love it so much, and it comes so naturally to me that I often forget how hard it is for others.
Rob May, an engineer by training has written a wonderful post How to Network for Introverts. What I found interesting in his comments, is his suggestions are very similar to my ground rules:
- Networking is an investment, not a nuisance.
- At first, you have to kiss a lot of frogs.
- Don’t spend too much time on it.
- Do cool things.
- Invite people to lunch.
- Go regularly to things you like.
- Analyze your results.
- Find the key nodes in the network.
- Don’t network just for the sake of networking.
To his comments I would add – Try to find something you can do for the other person. As Seth Godin often says: Helping other people acheive their goals and you will find them more willing to help you acheive yours!